Getting my first rex!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

my .02, buy everything usdm on places like craigslist or local car forums. it's easy and super cheap. you could get that car looking sharp for under $1500.

You make it out to that yard?
yeah. I got out there and asked him if he had any crxs layin around. he told me yeah, but he just scrapped a whole bunch of them. there were about 5 out there nearly picked to the bone, and a shit load of efs. like I said, all the headlight housings were either bent, or rusted to hell or gone. im gonna go back as soon as this shit clears up and I don't work 22352232669 hours a week.

Did they have any blue on blue DX hatches out there?

yeah. I got out there and asked him if he had any crxs layin around. he told me yeah, but he just scrapped a whole bunch of them. there were about 5 out there nearly picked to the bone, and a shit load of efs. like I said, all the headlight housings were either bent, or rusted to hell or gone. im gonna go back as soon as this shit clears up and I don't work 22352232669 hours a week.

Yeah Ive picked at all the hatches for little shit.

So im driving to my dads today, I pick him up, and I think, damn, that spring must have just needed worked, cause it sure as hell is loose now. So im driving down an alley getting to the main road, put the car in neutral waiting for the traffic to clear, and when it does, it won't go into gear. the clutch isn't engaging. wtf?!... so I shut it off, put it in gear, and see if it'll start like that to test the safety switch, and to see if its catching at all, etc. It doesn't start, won't turn over, so we push it back, and are looking for some sort of safety switch in the bell housing, or before the lever, nothing. looking under the dash for a loose adjustment, and I see the pedal assembly housing is cracked and the clutch pedal is moving more sideways than it is straight down. goin to the boneyard tomorrow and seeing if I can find one.

issues already?
we'll say its testing my love, and it is used, so its not like I just went out and bought it new. (i wish)
Injen, I sorta had a feeling that this wasn't anything new. The part of the pedal that keeps it straight going up and down has a bracket around it. that bracket is what broke and is letting the pedal go sorta willie nillie. tomorrow the town turns into a damn madhouse, so I have to get out there. I want this car to be running for me to cruise in. I know I'm gonna look like a d-bag, but I'm proud of the car, not the way it looks.

went to the bone yard, found one, the guy said hed take it out for me yesterday, came back today and it was sitting there pedals and all. 20 bucks. thanks byron!
its sorta rough right now. rusting out and crap, so I think im gonna take the pedals out, sand it down, seal and paint it so I don't have to be back in there in 3 months.

fuck replacing pedals,
i will never do that shit again.

taking them out of the junk car is easy, bc you can break and rip everything in your way.
i had my ef hatch break a clutch pedal, i would rather swap a motor than swap a pedal assembly.

good luck with that.

everything, being on your back.
the hassle.

you should have asked to take it out yourself.
that way you know the obstacles in your way.
if I hadn't taken mine out of the junk car, it would have easily taken a much longer time.

the biggest pain is the fact that the pedals wrap around the steering column, so that has to be dropped, and you have to position yourself next to it.

little tip: dismantle the pedal assembly as much as possible before taking it out, and the same for the other going in.
its still going to be a horrible bitch to re-assemble once its in, but it helped me.

that and the air ducts get in the way.
wires and everything, its a pain. i spent a lot of that day swearing and pissed off.

adbtzo.jpg

aw6wlw.jpg

ou5q9l.jpg

2nlzuyx.jpg

2aac5ly.jpg

2j44y1d.jpg

The one at the end is of a shitty tack that they did. I was wondering if i should try to resupport it a little bit, or just leave it be. My grad party is tomorrow, but after that I'm really up to nothing, so I'll probably sand it and paint it then. You can see where I started to sand the top. Should I look for some sort of sealer, or should I just rattle can it? I figured if I put a nice thick couple layers of flat black spray on it, it would hold up pretty well, but any suggestions will be taken!

sandblasting would be a much better choice.
just dismantle the pedals and springs, and sandblast all of that rust off, then rattle can it.
black primer would suffice, its not like you'll be able to see it down there.

just call around to a couple of shops.

im sure it wouldnt cost much at all to have somebody do it.
or you can buy/rent them in some places. try lowes and home depot.

Back