Launching

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

what are you talking about?

there is NO WAY you can't get traction launching from 2500 rpm on slicks...

and aren't you using a p28?

my method only works on the street, i have not tried it at the track, my car is a 95 ex coupe with a 2gen b16a motor and tranny, with stock clutch, and 17 in wheels on 40 series tires I tried all kinds of variations and i either spin and bog or jus bog off the line and no spin, it wasnt until i saw a typr r racing one night that i got this idea, he launched at 7000 rpm and that dayam thing wheel spun but there was enough foward momentum that it took off like it was on slicks and because it was so high rpm of a launch it never bogged, so i tried a few different rpms until i found it, 5500 rpm dump the clutch, it spins yes, but u wont believe how fast it leaves the line, i pretty much beat everyone off the line but AWD cars and slicks, the AWD leave me in the dust and slicks are only a little faster than i am off the line. anyway i dunno if this will help u but this is what werks for me

i havent read the whole thread but i wanna throw in my 2 cents...

on my old LSVTEC set up [without the built head and 70mm TB]... i was on street radials at the track launching at 5500-6000RPM... i didnt completely dump the clutch but rode it lightly until i got complete tracction, as soon as that happened i got off the clutch and stepped on it full throttle

on slicks this weekend at IDRC i plan to launch at 7000RPM but i will be on slicks so i will also be completely dumping the clutch... thats me though :)

I agree with Steve... I've noticed with My H22, I got the best 60ft times launching between 5000-5500rpm. For a B16/B18 with less torque, I would launch around 6000. I've been told that you should launch in your peak torque curve, or right after V-TEC engagement for Honda engines. That doesn't mean you should take your B16/B18 up to 6k and drop the clutch. You should feather the gas and clutch until you get traction, then right before you feel it starting to grip, give it WOT. With slicks, of course, you can launch even higher in your power curve 7-9k.
Either way, launching lower than 5000 will give shity 60s unless you're driving a V8.

pills... thats what i thought to, i USE to have video of me launching that day, but the guy that has it isnt a friend of mine anymore so thats out the window. i got the slicks from a buddy of mine for free, my guess is they are meant for auto x, i dont know if that would make a difference, most likely. i plan on getting some REAL slicks this summer, prolly some MT/ET's to throw on some 15 inch slips, chances are ill do a lot better with some real slicks, not that street legal BS.

i have a strong clutch....but i'm equiped with hondata launch control....gives me the right output. i just rev it up and dunk it.....

FWD cars tend to launch faster if you have alittle bit of wheel spin about 1 sec worth I wish I had my racing books with me it went into detail as of why its faster but my brother has them at his place

I've had faster 1/4 times spining tires too if the engine is not reved high enough to break the tires loose it just seems to bog down
I've run a few 15.3s with a LS trans and stock B16 with a good bit of tire spin the runs were I had a better hook up and what seemed to be a faster 60 foot was always slower 15.5-15.7

as far as what RPM and how to launch it changed with every set up just play around at the track on a test and tone day and you will find the best spot to launch at

mild all motor setups I would guess 2800-3000rpm

Jeff

yea im going to a test and tune here with a neon club on the 29th of march... they are some really cool guys, by then ill have my hondata and ill be working like a slave bitch to get my launch down right. wish me luck!

well i'm new at this site, and you guys know a whole lot more than i do about cars and all, but i usually go for a little bark of the tires to eliminate the spin.

i also have a civic cx, 94, and i know it's slow but it's in the works.

yea i drove a VX when i was looking around at buying cars, and i got the lude. it was a fun little car, launching it was a snap, wheelspin at the bare minimum... NOTHING like the lude, way more torque and power lol... btw, welcome to the board :)

Originally posted by jdmcrx89@Feb 4 2003, 03:50 AM
heres my 2 cents, nothing proven or scientific about it, just how i do it

i have 2 ways to launch

car is a 89 crx si, d16a6 motor, coilovers, 15 in wheels with federals (cheap ass tires)
stock clutch

either i

a: rev up 2 2000, dump the clutch and spin out a bit then grab

b:rev up to 3500 ride the clutch and eliminate most of the spin

when i track race or race on really good roads i use method A

when i street race or race on roads not really good for racing like roads with dirt or old gravel ect i use method b

also i agree when the clutch gets too hot it slips, mine does it all the time.

who here has a b16a sir? with a upgraded clutch? what do u launch at?

why i ask is because im swapin one in.

ive got a 1989 civic SIR :worthy: (a real japanese one cause i live in newzealand) with I/H/E a brass button clutch and coil overs.
i hold the revs at 3000 rpm and then dump the clutch and it hooks up nicely. thats on shitty tyres with 20psi. i dont have a lsd. i have not tried feathering the throttle i just put it throught the fire wall and i have not tried feathering the clutch either but i will when i get back to the strip.
any way this gets me a 2.348sec 60 foot time and a 14.74 quarter mile :)

I used to dump my Prelude at about 3300 and got immediate hook-up. My car had Neuspeed race springs and KYB AGX shocks. I had lightweight 17" wheels with Yokohama A520 rubbers and got just a little chirp and then the ACT street/strip disc with HD plate launched me on my way. But when I had the same set-up and used my stock wheels with Falken ZIEX rubber...it would light them up until you let off...or shifted into 3rd ;)

My $0.02

Later, Theron

Back