sigh... another build thread. but this one will also end without epicness

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

by the way I'm waiting for those ITB's to fire up before I purchase anything for my swap. It's very tempting.
all im waiting on is my engine harness from hasport and my fuel cell to come in the mail, then the trouble shooting begins!

all im waiting on is my engine harness from hasport and my fuel cell to come in the mail, then the trouble shooting begins!
Yes, the troubleshooting - what fun it is! Took me about a week to get mine cranked up - loose ground cluster at the thermostat - everything was dead, no spark, ECU, and such. Still chasing a few minor bugs.

speak of the devil. look what just showed up on my doorstep. i really should go buy plumbing and fittings right now but im soooo lazyyyyy

2011-07-11_16-48-27_987.jpg

nice! what is the capacity on that?

12 gallon. i still dont know if i am going to have to build a box over this or if the steel canister will be enough to pass tech inspection. ill probably still have to build a small sheet metal enclosure for it. stupid hatchback safety rules.

I've heard conflicting stories on the rule based on the type of fuel cell. I would email the race director and ask him directly. I hear some of these fuel cells are already contained to where they don't need to be firewalled.

my whole plan for the cell was to cut into the spare tire well and have it sitting flush on a piece of sheet metal but i think that it may be too long. i still havent done measurements but i think that it will get in the way of the lower control arm mount. that was the whole reason why i got a steel can fuel cell. ill probably just end up building a box for it anyways just to be on the safe side.

Be sure and strap all the lines down REAL good and shielding them is a great idea. Cuz ya never know.

Be sure and strap all the lines down REAL good and shielding them is a great idea. Cuz ya never know.

im not going to use hard lines. i am going to use steel braided lines so no need to cover them. the brackets i have for them look like this

johson_100459.JPG

god damn fuel cell is wayyyy too big to make it flush into the spare tire well, so i took the bladder out of the steel can and i am just going to strap it down and build a sheet metal enclosure for it. i hate when a plan doesnt pan out :(

Can't make it bigger?

my whole plan was to cut into the spare tire well, have the fuel cell supported by 2 pieces of steel on the bottom and 2 pieces of elastic material on the top and have a piece of sheet metal sitting under it so its flush but where i need to cut, the lower control arm support is in the way. ughhhh!
i almost want to sell my fuel cell and get a smaller one to make it work

you should have just stuck with the OE tank then. You don't want a smaller capacity. Either make it work (don't modify the cell) or put in an OE tank.

you should have just stuck with the OE tank then. You don't want a smaller capacity. Either make it work (don't modify the cell) or put in an OE tank.

I just took the cell out of the heavy ass steel canister so its just a polycarbonate cell. No use in using the steel canister if its not going to be hanging out the back of the car.

If it will span the spare tire well......strap it down and cover it up like you said. It'll look fine.

I'm looking to throw a b16 or b18 into a 2000 civic ex.. any ideas where i could find one?

Lots of places.....search for sale threads......don't be a WAY off topic thread jacker though......its tacky :thumbsdown::mad::thumbsdown:

Check Hmotorsonline.com That's where I got my latest swap.

If it will span the spare tire well......strap it down and cover it up like you said. It'll look fine.

yea, no one will ever even see it. now i have to go buy some eye bolts, rubber grommets, straps and tagboard to fab up a sheet metal box. times like this, i wish i was a better welder.

Back